How to combat maskne!
Have you been suffering from breakouts from masks & want to keep it under it under control?
First let’s take a look at how it happens.
Disposable masks, cloth masks, bandanas – everyone has their favorite facial covering, but in the end, we’re all prone to experiencing maskne breakouts.
Moisture, sweat, and dirt get trapped in the face mask and clog the pores, allowing bacteria to flourish & creating the perfect environment for bacteria to grow. Picking the breakouts will further irritate the skin and damage the underlying tissue, leading to acne scarring, which will be harder to treat.
How to combat maskne?
1. Use a salicylic acid based face wash twice a day. Double cleanse at night.
2. Use a light exfoliator 2x/week at night. These include lactic & glycolic acid exfoliators.
3. Don’t skip your moisturizer! Use fragrance-free, noncomedogenic moisturizers and sunscreen. Don’t forget to do the same for other products such as shampoos, body washes and hair products that can cause breakouts.
4. Don’t use actives, such as retinol, benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid during the day-save that for the night time.
5. Ditch the makeup! Wearing makeup under a mask causes clogged pores and breakouts.
6. Don’t be a pimple popper! It increases inflammation, spreads the bacteria and can lead to scarring. If you need to spot treat with acne treatments-that’s fine-they typically contain either benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, or sulfur, but use these products at bedtime or when your home & mask free.
7. Stay hydrated and drink at least 8 cups of water per day. When your dehydrated your skins oil glands produce more oil.
8. Wear a mask made out of cotton or silk. They tend to be more gentler on the skin.
9. Wash your mask regularly-preferably after each use with a gentle detergent as its surface contains dirt, oil & deadskin & can become a breeding ground for bacteria.
10. If your acne lasts longer than expected and over-the-counter options aren’t giving you the results you want, we offer the VI Peel Purify with Precision Plus, a chemical peel specifically made to target acne by reducing oil production, inflammation, irritation and treating acne scars. It’s an effective, quick and painless way to help keep your skin clear.
Schedule your VI chemical peel at 248.955.3535
Click here to learn more about how the VI chemical peel can combat acne!